

Waiter: Excuse me, sir. What can I do for you?
Man: I've been sitting here for the past 20 minutes—no one has offered me a glass of water, brought any bread to the table, and our appetizers [开胃菜]haven't been served yet. You know, in this kind of establishment, I'd expect much better service.
Waiter: I'm sorry, sir. I'll check on your order right away.
Woman: Relax, honey. The place is busy tonight, and I've heard the food is amazing.
Waiter: Anyway, here you are, sir. The fugu for the lady, and a mushroom soup for you.
Man: Waiter—I ordered a cream of mushroom soup with asparagus. The soup is obviously too runny, and it's over-seasoned. It's completely inedible.
Waiter: Okay, I do apologize for that. Can I bring you another soup, or would you like to order something else?
Man: Take this foie gras[鹅肝酱] back as well. It's rubbery and completely overcooked. And look at that portion[份]size—how can you charge $25 for a sliver of duck liver?
Waiter: Right away, sir.
Woman: Honey, come on. The foie gras was fine. Why are you making such a big deal? Are you trying to get our meal comped [免单]again?
Man: What do you mean? We are paying for this, and I'm shelling out my hard-earned bucks. I expect value for money.
Waiter: Here you are, sir. I hope it's all right—the chef has prepared it especially for you.
Man: Yes, fine.
Woman: Honey, are you all right?
over-seasoned 调味过重的(特指太咸)
🧂Be careful not to over-season the soup.(注意别给汤放太多盐。)
inedible 难以下咽的/不能吃的
🤢The cafeteria food is inedible.(食堂的饭太难吃了。)
rubbery 嚼不烂的/太韧的
🦷The squid was rubbery and hard to chew.(鱿鱼太韧了,嚼不烂。)
overcooked 煮过头的
🔥Overcookedvegetables lose their nutrients.(煮过头的蔬菜会流失营养。)
sliver 非常薄、非常小的一片
🔪You call this sliver of beef a meal?(你管这一小片牛肉叫一顿饭?)
👅 a bad second taste→ a bad aftertaste(不好的余味)
😖 a strong unpleasant taste that is opposite of sweet→ bitter(苦的)
👃 a strong unpleasant smell→ rank(难闻的、刺鼻的)
🤢 a rotten taste or smell→ rancid(腐臭的)
😐 not appealing, not attractive or tasty→ unappealing(不吸引人的、不好吃的)
🍽️ little dish people have before meal→ appetizer(前菜、开胃菜)
🏢 place of business like a restaurant or hotel→ establishment(场所、机构)
🛎️ work done by someone to serve customers→ service(服务)
📋 the list containing your choices of dishes→ order(点单、所点的菜)
🦆 a food made from the livers of geese→ foie gras(鹅肝)
💧 more liquid than expected→ runny(太稀的)
🧂 too salty→ over-seasoned(太咸的)
🚫 cannot be eaten→ inedible(不能吃的、难以下咽的)
🦷 difficult to chew→ rubbery(嚼不烂的、太韧的)
🔥 cooked too long→ overcooked(煮过头的)
📏 the amount of food that is served to a person→ portion size(份量)
🔪 a small thin piece→ sliver(一小片)
😤 get very upset about something small→ make a big deal(小题大做)
🆓 be given to customers for free→ comp(免单、免费提供)
💸 to spend money→ shell out(掏钱、花钱)
💪💰 money you work hard for→ hard-earned(辛苦赚来的)
🎧Now say the word and hear it in a sentence.
🐟 This fish tastes terrible—it's completely inedible.(这鱼太难吃了——完全没法下咽。)
🥩 If you leave meat out of the refrigerator for too long, it will be inedible.(如果把肉放在冰箱外太久,就会坏掉不能吃了。)
🎂 Are you sure you can eat that? Aren't the flower decorations on cakes inedible?(你确定那个能吃吗?蛋糕上的花不是不能吃的吗?)
🥩 This steak is so rubbery I can barely chew it.(这牛排太韧了,我根本嚼不动。)
🤔 If the meat is so rubbery, why don't you send it back?(如果肉这么韧,你干嘛不退回去?)
🦆 The foie gras is so rubbery—I bet it would bounce on the floor if I dropped it.(这鹅肝韧得——我敢打赌掉地上能弹起来。)
🍰 No, John's on a diet. He'll just have a sliver of cake and no ice cream.(不了,约翰在减肥。他只要一小块蛋糕,不要冰淇淋。)
😋 I'm really full, but it looks so delicious. Can you just cut me a sliver?(我真的很饱了,但看起来太好吃了。你能就给我切一小块吗?)
😤 You call this sliver of beef on my plate a meal? There's almost nothing here.(你管盘子里这一小片牛肉叫一顿饭?几乎什么都没有。)
😊 Doesn't it feel good when you use your hard-earned bucks to buy something you've always wanted?(用辛苦赚来的钱买自己一直想要的东西,感觉是不是很好?)
🙅 I refuse to spend my hard-earned bucks on someone who won't appreciate it.(我拒绝把我辛苦赚的钱花在不领情的人身上。)
❤️ Richard is such a great guy. Every year he would donate his hard-earned bucks to a different charity.(理查德真是个好人。每年他都把自己辛苦赚的钱捐给不同的慈善机构。)
🚗 I can't believe I got a parking ticket yesterday. Now I'm going to have to shell out 75 bucks.(真不敢相信我昨天吃了一张停车罚单。现在得掏75美元了。)
💑 It's me and my girlfriend's five-year anniversary on Saturday, so I'm going to shell out for a nice dinner and a pair of nice earrings.(周六是我和女朋友五周年纪念日,所以我打算花点钱吃顿好的,再买对漂亮的耳环。)
🥳 Tommy loved to party. Last night he shelled out $300 buying people drinks.(汤米喜欢派对。昨晚他花了300美元请大家喝酒。)
这道菜太咸了,我都没法吃。
你能就给我切一小块蛋糕吗?我在减肥。
我们花了500美元修车,但问题还在。
别小题大做——只是汤有点凉而已。
如果食物不满意,在美国退菜是很正常的。